San Cristóbal de La Laguna, was founded in 1500, the original capital of Tenerife.
It is an old colonial city of grand mansions, plazas, churches, convents, museums and a cathedral.
It was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1999.
The layout of La Laguna was the concept of Governor Fernandez de Lugo following a trip to the court of Ferdinand and Isabella. He wished to create a modern Renaissance city, with wide royal streets running parallel to each other, criss-crossed by narrower streets forming a grid.
The relationships between many of the open spaces and the churches have a mathematical and mystical relationship. For example the alignment of the churches of Concepción and San Miguel and the Cathedral and the geometric centre located in the San Agustín Church.
What was unusual about the city, apart from its planned layout, was that it lacks a city wall, it is open to the surrounding countryside.
La Laguna formed the model for cities in Latin America, for example Old Havana in Cuba, Lima in Peru, Cartagena de Indias in Colombia and San Juan de Puerto Rico.
From Puerto de la Cruz, take 102, direct bus to Santa Cruz calling at Tenerife Norte and La Laguna.