Taylor St Baristas Brighton closed

That's All Folks Closed: Thank you for your custom

That’s All Folks Closed: Thank you for your custom …

Passing by Taylor St Baristas Sunday evening, I learnt the sad news it had closed its doors for the very last time.

I thought something was up, as a To Let sign on the front of the shop.

Apparently it was not doing very well, and the decision was made to close.

A pity as it served excellent coffee.

But, it was in the wrong location. Had it been located in North Laine, it would not be closing.

What kills many small business, is the greed of landlords, driving up rents to unaffordable levels. That too may have been a factor.

The loss is not only to Brighton of an excellent coffee shop, albeit in the wrong location, but also to the excellent staff who worked there. Unlike Costa or Starbucks, staff who knew and cared about coffee.

If a decision had been made to close, why not give the staff the option to take it over and run as a  cooperative?

Now, yet another empty vacant shop unit.


Tags: , , , ,

5 Responses to “Taylor St Baristas Brighton closed”

  1. caroline elliott Says:

    so sorry to hear they’d shut, was hoping may have re-opened somewhere else…their coffee and food was superlative and the staff so enthusiastic:)

  2. keithpp Says:

    I agree, tragic that they closed, excellent staff and coffee.

    They were in the wrong location.

    They could and should have relocated to North Laine.

    They should have handed to the staff to run as an open coop.

  3. Eduardo Florez (@Ed__Florez) Says:

    It would be interesting to find out the real reason for the closing down of this very good café. Now, they sold part of their busisness to Tesco and one of the Tolley brothers specializes in comercial property. Mmh, why did they closed it down?


    Hi, just reading through this blog and the comments for the first time. Thanks for the kind words about the quality of the coffee, food and team. I wholeheartedly agree.

    The reason for closing was in fact the team. 3 of the most senior and skilled people all planned to leave, for different and very good reasons, but all at approximately the same time. Finding, and training a good team is difficult, and a lengthy process, so it wasn’t possible for us to keep the cafe running. Our strategic focus has been roasting for the last 24 months so we focused on setting up a roastery in London and now roast coffee, offer barista training and advice for people wanting to serve specialty coffee to high standards.

    We are now supplying the newly opened Dough Lover on Trafalgar st with coffee. They have an excellent team and are an outstanding addition to Brighton’s vibrant cafe community.

    @Eduardo’s comment is slightly off the mark. Tesco does not own any of Taylor St. We had a joint venture with Tesco and created Harris + Hoole but both Tesco and Taylor St are no longer involved either with each other or with H+H since it was sold in full to Caffe Nero. None of the Tolleys are in the property business. We are working full time at Taylor St.

    Taylor St Baristas.

  5. keithpp Says:

    Many thanks Andrew for kind comments and taking the trouble to set the record straight.

    Had I paid more attention to the comments from Eduardo Florez I would have seen he was confusing Taylor Street Baristas with Harris + Hoole, which as you correctly say, was 49% owned by Tesco, the other 51% Tolley, Tolley and Tolley.

    Since sale to Caffe Nero, H+H has seen death by a thousand cuts.

    If H+H Guildford is typical, they have lost all their good staff, never see the same staff twice. That is not to say they do not still have good baristas but change from Union to Caffe Nero, and deterioration in the coffee served, staff shortages, spiral downwards.

    It was a pity Taylor St Brighton had to close, as based on my one and only visit, it was an excellent coffee shop with excellent staff serving excellent coffee.

    I will try and remember to look out for Dough Lover when next in Brighton. North Laine a good area to be.

    I had my qualms, setting up a roastery, too many people are doing so knowing nothing about coffee. But, having met your master coffee roaster, looked at the set up, cupped Los Nogales, you are doing an excellent job.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: